If it’s time to shape and strengthen your fitness instructor resume, you’ve come to the right place. With 350+ resume examples and writing guides, Resume.io is an expert resource for job seekers in all fields and stages of their careers.
Fitness instructors need to be flexible in terms of hours and work environments, so you’ll need a resume that can adapt to your unique experience and skill set. This resume guide, along with the corresponding fitness instructor resume example will cover the following topics:
- What does a fitness instructor do?
- How to write a fitness instructor resume (tips and tricks)
- The best format for a fitness instructor resume
- Advice on each section of your resume (summary, work history, education, skills)
- Professional resume layout and design hints.
The job market for fitness instructors is expected to grow by 39 percent – that’s much faster than average for more professions. Part of this growth will come from employers who recognize the need for health and fitness programs built into the work day.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
What does a fitness instructor do?
Fitness instructors plan and instruct fitness sessions or classes. Fitness instructors may teach one-on-one or in group settings. The goal of a fitness instructor is to provide high quality exercise plans to clients seeking to improve their level of fitness. They assist clients in performing exercises by suggesting changes or useful techniques to maximize efficiency and minimize risk of injury.
Fitness instructors monitor the progress of clients and adapt programs based on the needs of the client. They also offer their clients helpful advice regarding nutrition, lifestyle changes, and weight control. Fitness instructors are usually adept in First Aid practices as well. Fitness instructors can teach independently, work remotely, teach in schools, fitness centers, private practices, or rehabilitation centers. An ideal candidate is experienced in instructing different types of exercise, and has had some form of formal instructor training.
How to write a fitness instructor resume
The very first step in writing your car sales resume is understanding what sections to include. Your CV should contain the following elements:
- The resume header
- The resume summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The resume skills section
- The education section
A successful fitness instructor resume should showcase a candidate’s experience instructing exercise classes, as well as their dedication to exercise disciplines. The candidate’s ability to connect with clients and provide motivating and beneficial instruction should be apparent in the resume. Fitness Instructors should be adept in working with students with different physical needs, desires, and goals.
Fitness instructors should be experienced in creating and implementing powerful individual and class fitness plans. Fitness instructors should be sure to showcase their in-depth understanding of anatomy and physiology in their resume. A winning fitness instructor resume should present a motivated attitude and the ability to work and instruct with precision, professionalism, and dedication.
Choosing the best resume format for fitness instructors
Fitness instructors have a few options when it comes to creating a great resume format. If you’ve held a number of traditional positions in gyms or fitness-related companies, then the reverse chronological resume format is likely the best choice for you. This resume format focuses on the employment history section where you can list your previous positions starting with the most recent, or current, and working back through the past ten years.
If your experience includes a variety of short-term gigs, private classes, or other independent employment, you may want to check out the alternative structures we suggest like the functional or hybrid models. Read more about them in our guide to resume formats .
Resume summary example
The resume summary is the place to introduce yourself and highlight your biggest accomplishments and attributes. A great resume summary touches on the key areas of your experience and expertise while encouraging the employer to continue reading the rest of the resume. Remember to use as many powerful action verbs and job specific information as you can. Below you’ll find the summary from our adaptable resume example.
Find more inspiration for your summary in our related sport and fitness resume examples including our yoga instructor resume sample , personal trainer resume example , and sports resume example .
Motivated and exuberant Fitness Instructor with experience in versatile fitness settings. Passionate for developing fitness programs for clients, and helping them to transform their lives through the power of exercise and nutrition. Skilled in aerobics, yoga, strength training, pilates, and cycling. Performance driven, dynamic leader with a proven track record of accomplishments in the development of fitness initiatives.
Employment history sample
The employment history section will likely be the longest part of your resume. Here is where you can list all positions relevant to a fitness instructor position. Include the job title, employer name, dates worked and location. Remember to use powerful action verbs and mention job specific accomplishments that prove you are an excellent candidate. Find the employment history bullet points from our fitness instructor resume sample below.
- Guided clients in safe exercise practices.
- Identified any physical limitations of clients, and created plans that took them into account.
- Served as an encouraging supporter by giving clients the tools necessary to change their physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- Performed in-depth fitness assessments before creating individual fitness plans.
- Led group fitness classes, as well as one-on-one training sessions.
- Advised clients about nutrition and dieting upon their request.
- Promoted a happy and safe environment for all.
CV skills example
An outstanding fitness instructor resume will include a number of impressive skills that your employer is looking for in a candidate. A hiring manager looking for a fitness instructor is looking for an experienced, educated, and passionate individual, who is capable of providing motivating and beneficial fitness instruction to students of all levels. Be sure to include specific skills from the job description using the employer’s exact language. Below you’ll find the skills section from our fitness instructor resume example.
- Strong Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Excellent Leadership Skills
- Powerful Exercise Techniques
- Knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology
- Excellent Teaching Skills
- Knowledge of Nutrition and Food Science
Fitness instructor resume education example
Fitness instructors come from a variety of educational backgrounds so this section is the place to list all degrees and certifications. Fitness-related coursework, honors or distinctions should be noted here as well. If you hold a degree higher than a bachelor’s degree, you may leave off your high school.
- 2004-2005 ACE Certified Group Fitness Instructor 2000-2004 Manhattan College, B.S. in Nutrition and Food Science NY, NY
- 1996-2000 Hyde Park High School, High School Diploma Hyde Park, NY
Resume layout and design
Fitness instructors can stand out in a crowded field of applicants by creating a great resume layout. A professionally-designed resume template can make it easy to try out different styles. Here are some more tips for creating a polished layout:
- Keep a balance of white space to text
- Use your resume header to create a personal brand
- Use more than 1-2 font styles on the same resume
- Forget to proofread for spelling and grammar mistakes
Key takeaways for a fitness instructor resume
- Job opportunities are plentiful for fitness instructors so a great resume can help you land your next dream job.
- In the employment history section, make sure to focus on data that shows the results you achieved for your clients.
- Include a balance of hard and soft skills in your skills section.
- Get started with our adaptable fitness instructor resume sample for more ideas on creating a great header.