An excellent scrum master resume will help efficiently promote your skills and get you into the hands of recruiters. Take the lead in your job search by developing a resume that will have you sprinting toward your next career move.
Let Resume.io help you get there with our powerful resources for job seekers: resume guides, resume examples for 300+ professions, and an easy-to-use resume builder . This resume guide, along with the corresponding scrum master resume example will cover the following topics:
- What does a scrum master do?
- Tips and tricks for a scrum master resume
- Professional resume layout and design hints.
What does a scrum master do?
Simply put, the scrum master is in charge of establishing scrum by ensuring that their teams and organizations understand the theory and practice of Scrum. A scrum master is a project manager who uses the Scrum framework.
According to the Agile Alliance, the scrum master is responsible for:
- Clearing obstacles
- Creating a positive, effective working environment
- Making sure the team gels
- Establishing and maintaining good relationships among the team, product owner and other stakeholders
- Ensuring the team is not distracted by outside concerns
Scrum is an Agile framework that helps teams work together to solve complex problems and get innovative products to market efficiently. The term “scrum” comes from rugby. A scrum is a tightly packed circle of teammates who put their heads down and try to gain possession of the ball.
Need more guidance on this free-form section? Look to our related Information Technology resume samples here below:
- Systems Analyst resume sample
- Technical Project Manager resume sample
- Network Engineer resume sample
- IT Director resume sample
- Computer Science resume sample
- IT Project Manager resume sample
- Software Engineer resume sample
- Film and Video Editor resume sample
- Motion Graphics Artists resume sample
- Network Systems Analyst resume sample
- 3D Animator resume sample
- Software Developer resume sample
- Web Developer resume sample
- Programmer resume sample
- Data Scientist resume sample
- IT manager resume sample
- Data Analyst resume sample
Scrum master job market and outlook
Scrum masters are in demand, as are all software developers. In fact, the software development field is expected to leap 22% from 2019 to 2029, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates and LinkedIn listed Scrum master certification as one of the top in-demand skills of 2021.
A search for “Scrum master” on Indeed turned up 2,443 jobs and the technology job hunt site Dice.com showed 11,181 open positions.
How much does a Scrum master earn?
The high demand for Scrum masters has led to equally high salaries. The median annual income for this profession is $103,341, BuiltIn.com computes. Salaries range from $50,000 for entry-level workers to a high of $163,000.
How to write a scrum master resume
You’re familiar with frameworks, so make sure you follow the one that applies to your scrum master resume.
Your CV should contain the following elements:
- The resume header
- The resume summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The resume skills section
- The education section
When you rally the troops and keep them focused, you measure your tone and message. The same is true for your resume. Research your target company. Find out about its mission, its philosophy and its people. Then, address your resume to those needs.
Program for the ATS
Make sure you optimize for each position by analyzing the job listing and comparing keywords and phrases to your resume. There are no guarantees, but this step, along with using a standard format, can help you pass through Applicant Tracking Systems and into the hands of a hiring manager.
Choosing the best resume format for scrum masters
You may have loads of technical expertise. If that’s the case, consider using a functional resume format to emphasize your niche skills. However, be aware that when you are applying online, the ATS scanning systems do not favor this format.
Recruiters (and the ATS) prefer the standard reverse chronological order resume, so we recommend using that format. If you are looking for your first scrum master job, check out the resume formats we suggest as chronological alternatives or hybrids. They may also be of interest to mature workers or career-changers.
Resume summary example: Lead the pack
As a scrum master, you need to inspire and motivate. How can you show that in your resume? Your summary is the best place, because it offers 3-4 unstructured sentences for you to describe yourself, your style and your accomplishments. Don’t be afraid to use strong, positive words to illustrate how you achieve your goals.
You can find a scrum master resume example summary below.
Dedicated and agile Scrum Master committed to ensuring that teams work in accordance with established rules, values, processes, and practices. Adept in fostering an environment conducive to productivity and success.
Employment history sample: Frame your career
The employment history section of your Scrum master resume should detail the work you have done that proves you are perfect for the job. Create bullet items that lead with strong action words followed by a phrase illuminating your achievement (include details and data whenever possible).
You can find a scrum master employment history resume sample below.
Senior Scrum Master, B2B Solutions, New York
Jan 2016 - Dec 2020
- Leveraged my expertise to raise the bar and worked to ensure our team delivered extraordinary results.
- Helped to clearly define the team's vision, strategy and action plans.
- Continually worked to understand customers, business, and stakeholder needs and implemented solutions to meet those needs.
- Effectively managed cross functional company initiatives.
- Helped to empower and coach teams to success.
- Collaborated with engineering managers and software engineers to reach goals.
Scrum Master, Captiva One, New York
Nov 2012 - Nov 2016
- Worked to support software engineering teams through Scrum Agile methodologies.
- Maintained an in-depth understanding on risks and coached teams on compliance to minimize operational risks.
- Appropriately utilized team feedback and metrics to identify areas of opportunity and improvement.
- Coached teams to improve collaboration and organization.
- Identified impediments and appropriately worked toward solutions.
- Communicated with leaders across the organization to ensure communication regarding delivery, risks, and opportunities for improvement.
CV skills example: The right balance
Scrum masters need a unique blend of hard and soft skills to both master and teach Agile usage and keep a team focused. Your skills section gives recruiters a quick way to see whether you have what they need (and to discover what you believe is most important for the job).
Here are the top six skills Scrum masters need.*
- Strong Scrum and Agile training
- Organizational skills
- Technical familiarity
- Servant leader
- Teaching and coaching abilities
- Conflict facilitation
*Source: Nutcache software
Check out a resume sample for the skills section below.
- Ability to Multitask
- Ability to Work Under Pressure
- Critical thinking and Problem Solving
- Leadership and Teamwork
- Agile Methodologies
Scrum master resume education example
Most scrum masters have at least a bachelor’s degree in a technology field, but perhaps more important, if you have it, is your Scrum master training. List all your academic degrees here, but also include any certifications you have earned that relate to your field.
Below you can see an education section from a Scrum master resume example.
Manhattan College, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, New York
Sep 2008 - May 2012
Loyola High School, High School Diploma, New York
Sep 2004 - May 2008
Resume layout and design: First impressions
Take as much care with the design of your Scrum master resume as you do with the content. The first impression recruiters will get of you is visual, so make sure you present yourself as professional, organized and detail-oriented by choosing a layout that is memorable without distracting from your message.
If design just isn’t your forte, consider using one of our resume templates, so all you have to do is choose the one that speaks to you.
Key takeaways for a car sales resume
- Scrum masters are leaders who can motivate, so show off those skills in your summary section.
- Your career is on the upswing, so make sure you are in position to take advantage of the opportunities with a great resume.
- Target each company by analyzing and utilizing keywords and phrases from the job listing to ensure you get past the ATS.
- Check out our scrum master resume sample for an idea of how to create professional and attractive formatting.