As a senior business analyst, you’re responsible for the insights that will ultimately serve as the basis for some very big decisions. That means a hiring manager should have confidence in your skills and experience from the second they lay eyes on your senior business analyst resume. From the page design to the writing – everything about your resume needs to be clear and convincing.
Luckily, we’re here to help. With 350+ resume examples and writing guides, Resume.io is an expert resource for job seekers in all fields and at all levels of their careers. This resume guide, along with the corresponding senior business analyst resume example will cover the following topics:
- What does a senior business analyst do?
- How to write a senior business analyst resume (tips and tricks)
- The best format for a senior business analyst resume
- Advice on each section of your resume (summary, work history, education, skills)
- Professional resume layout and design hints.
What does a senior business analyst do?
Senior business analysts are responsible for providing business analysis services to business partners and clients. They are typically responsible for complex high-profile projects. They utilize strong communication and analysis skills to identify problems and offer solutions. Senior business analysts oversee projects and implement new and improved company procedures to improve business performance.
Senior business analysts must possess excellent problem-solving skills and superior communication abilities, helping them to collaborate with different company divisions, business stakeholders, and business experts to achieve performance goals. They use their experience, combined with their skill-set, to identify opportunities for improvement in business processes. An ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration and has experience in business settings.
How to write a senior business analyst resume
The very first step in writing your senior business analyst resume is understanding what sections to include. Your CV should contain the following elements:
- The resume header
- The resume summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The resume skills section
- The education section
A senior business analyst resume should call attention to one’s experiences and powerful skill-set, attesting to their ability to serve as a successful business analyst. Your skill-set should be indicative of the excellent work you are capable of. Don’t forget to include skills like IT Knowledge, Project Management, Knowledge of Business Solutions, and Troubleshooting. Be sure to highlight your ability to effectively oversee the performance of a company, and identify areas that need improvement.
The ideal candidate demonstrates strong analytical thinking skills, communication abilities, and advanced IT computer proficiency. A winning senior business analyst resume should highlight one’s ability to analyze business requirements and offer real-life solutions. Most candidates hold at minimum a bachelor’s degree in business or a related field.
Choosing the best resume format for senior business analysts
The reverse chronological resume format is the best choice for senior business analysts as these professionals are trusted for their experience and the positive outcomes they’ve produced in previous roles. This means that hiring managers will be especially interested in a candidate’s career trajectory as shown in their employment history section. Hiring managers prefer the reverse chronological resume structure as it focuses on this section and allows plenty of room to discuss skills and accomplishments going back through the past 10 years of experience.
Although we don't recommend them for senior roles, alternative resume formats do exist. You can learn more about them in our guide to resume formatting .
For even more insight and writing help, check out our related business and management resume examples including our
- Senior business analyst resume sample
- CEO resume sample
- Business marketing manager resume sample
- Business development manager resume sample
- Manager resume sample
- Consultant resume example
- Business manager resume sample
- Product manager resume sample
- Business analyst resume sample
- Executive assistant resume sample
- Program manager resume sample
- Procurement manager resume sample
- Executive resume sample
- Business resume sample
- Team Lead resume sample
- Managing Director resume sample
Resume summary example
As a senior business analyst, your perspectives are key. That’s why the resume summary gives you 3-5 sentences to introduce yourself and highlight your biggest accomplishments and attributes. Senior business analysts should be adept in identifying areas of improvement and offering solutions and enhancements. Make sure to customize your summary for the specific role you are applying for. See our adaptable resume example below.
Experienced and passionate Business Analyst with over eight years of experience evaluating and improving business systems for well known organizations. Dedicated team leader with the ability to effectively manage and achieve project goals, leveraging my complex understanding of systems engineering concepts. Bringing forth a proven track record of effectively researching and analyzing business processes and procedures and designing and implementing business solutions.
Employment history sample
The employment history section will be very important to the hiring manager so make sure to list all positions relevant to the work of a senior business analyst, or positions that have transferable duties and/or required skills. Remember to use powerful action verbs and mention job specific accomplishments that prove you are an excellent candidate. Include the job title, employer name, dates worked, and location. Below, you can include 4-5 bullet points that concretely discuss your skills and responsibilities. See our resume sample below.
Senior Business Analyst, Columbia University, New York
October 2015 - August 2019
- Managed 10 person team of business process consultants.
- Redesigned and implemented user documentation for system training within the University.
- Lead process-improvement focus groups as part of the University initiative to achieve functional design within it's user systems.
- Guide efforts to improve technology systems in a real and cost effective way.
- Work tirelessly to improve the overall performance of the University by assessing billing, workflow, and customer relationship management and productivity.
Business Analyst, Citigroup, Dallas
September 2012 - September 2015
- Lead and conducted in depth analysis of business performance versus business goals.
- Managed the reporting of business intelligence efforts and all relations to Citi Private Bank’s Global Managed Investments (GMI) group.
- Oversaw design, regulation, and daily management of principal projects.
- Managed and supported business risk and worked to develop and implement strategic solutions.
- Reported all necessary information to the Chief Operating Officer for Citi Private Bank’s Global Managed Investments (GMI) group, and worked closely with her to achieve and maintain goals.
CV skills example
Your senior business analyst resume should include a number of important skills that your employer is looking for in a candidate. In order to be considered a strong candidate you must present yourself as a strong leader with advanced business and IT skills and valuable experience leading company initiatives and managing multiple projects at a time. Be sure to include job specific skills. See our adaptable resume sample below.
- Strategic Planning
- Self Starter
Senior business analyst resume education example
Senior business analysts will be required to hold advanced degrees, so your education section should not be overlooked. List all degrees, certifications, and licenses here. Any honors or distinctions should be noted here as well. If you hold a degree higher than a bachelor’s degree, you may leave off your high school. See our resume sample below.
Master of Business Administration , Fairfield University, Fairfield
August 2011 - August 2013
- Graduated summa cum laude.
- President of the Business for a Better Tomorrow Society
Bachelor of Finance, Villanova University, Villanova
August 2007 - May 2011
- President of the Business and Leadership Society.
- Vice President of Business Without Borders.
- Graduated magna cum laude.
Resume layout and design
The layout and design of your senior business analyst resume should be impeccable in order to convey your professionalism and seriousness about the position. Start by creating an eye-catching header that highlights your name and contact information. If appropriate for your field or potential employer, you may choose to use an accent color, but a neutral color palette is the safest option for most business professionals. Here are some more tips for creating a great layout:
- Balance the amount of white space to text so that the page doesn’t feel overcrowded
- Keep consistent font styles and sizes throughout your resume
- Choose a professionally-designed resume template to avoid formatting errors
- Go overboard with eccentric colors or other design elements
- Include a headshot unless appropriate for your country or region
- Forget to proofread for spelling and grammar mistakes before you submit
Key takeaways for a senior business analyst resume
- Senior business analysts are valued for their insight and reliable predictions, so make sure your resume exudes professionalism and experience.
- Use the summary to call the hiring manager’s attention to your key qualities and skills.
- Make sure to add employment history in reverse chronological order to increase your chances of passing the ATS.
- Start creating a great page layout with our adaptable resume sample.